7 No-Nonsense Essay Writing Tips You Need to Take Up
Do you want to hone your essay writing skills for the IELTS General Training or IELTS Academic exam? This article can help you out! Here are seven no-nonsense tips that can help you refine your essays and get your band score goal in the IELTS writing exam.
- Follow the essay writing process. Outline your ideas, write a draft, and then edit that draft. Writing your “final work” from the get-go—skipping the outlining and drafting stage—increases the risk of content, grammar, and structure mistakes.
- Be comfortable with writing “average” or “garbage” drafts. Otherwise, you won’t be able to move on to the next phase of your essay writing process. Focus on getting all your thoughts and ideas down. Disregard grammar and structure when you write your draft.
- Don’t abuse the comma. How do you know if you’re using the comma too much in a sentence? When there are three or more of them. Remember, you are writing an essay for the IELTS General Training exam—not a creative piece reminiscent of 18th Century literature. Avoid long and complex sentences.
- Drop canned expressions. Many IELTS test takers stuff their essays full of obscure idiomatic expressions thinking that it would increase their score. Don’t make the same mistake. Use metaphors only if they contribute something to the sentence or paragraph.
- Keep only what’s essential in your final essay. If you can shorten a sentence, shorten it. Remove everything that serves no purpose to your essay.
- Read with intent. If you’ve been researching ways to improve your writing skills, you probably know the expression “good readers make good writers.” Take this saying to heart. Read as many good materials as you can with the intention of understanding the writer’s message and absorbing their writing style. You’ll learn a lot just by paying attention to how authors structure their works.
- Read your final work out loud. If you’re enrolled in an IELTS Academic review package, this is one of the essay writing techniques that your instructor will teach you. Reading your essay out loud forces you to slow down and really pay attention to your sentences. It makes pinpointing spelling, punctuation, and other grammatical errors easier.
You don’t have to enroll in a premiere essay writing class or get a writing tutor to get a high score in the IELTS writing exam. Just integrate these tips into your test preparations!
Determined to go the extra mile to enhance your writing skills? Enroll in an IELTS Academic review package. IELTS training programs are designed to equip their students with all the knowledge and skills necessary for success—and that includes essay writing! Click here to find the best IELTS online course package.